Today’s dinner is cooking in the crock pot and is nothing other than Easy Crock Pot Beef Soup! I don’t eat all that many potatoes and there’s nothing better than mashed taters with a melt-in-your-mouth roast beef. At least I didn’t think there was…until I came to know the parsnip. When cooked, this vegetable turns a little bit sweet and when mashed, gets very creamy. No need for butter or sour cream. No. need. You’re probably going to mourn the years that you didn’t get to eat this vegetable. It’s ok, there’s plenty of parsnips waiting for you.
- 2 lbs parsnips
- 1.5 cups water
- Salt to taste
- Peel and roughly chop the parsnips.
- Add the parsnips and 1/2 cup water to a pot. Cook on medium, uncovered.
- Let the water simmer and steam the parsnips, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the remaining water as needed. (You might not need all the water.)
- Cook for 35-40 minutes uncovered until parsnips can easily be mashed with a spoon.
- Using an immersion blender or a potato masher, mash the parsnips until smooth. (I haven’t tried using a potato masher so I can’t guarantee it will be as smooth as if using an immersion blender.)
- Stir in salt to taste.