I’m sure you know the feeling of not wanting to cook dinner. You just got back from a tough workout, your muscles ache, you want to shower and just sit. The problem is that you’re hungry and finished leftovers for lunch. But, remember that flank steak you bought?! Here’s a quick and easy way to cook that meat, and have it on the table in 25-30 minutes. There might be better ways to prepare this cut – maybe involving searing and more spices or a slow burn cooking method, but this is my favorite. It’s quick and easy; I can shower, get in my soft clothes and prep the rest of the meal in the time in takes to cook the steak. Dinner is served and I’m ready for a night of relaxing.
- 2-3 pound flank steak (full disclosure: I am not sure of the size I used)
- Salt & Pepper
- Turn your broiler on to low. (I don’t have a temp, but my broiler has a high and low setting and I used the low.)
- Put foil or parchment on a baking sheet.
- Rub salt and pepper on both sides of the flank steak and place it on the baking sheet.
- Put in oven, under broiler for 8-12 minutes each side (8 if you like rare meat, 10 if you’re a medium person, 12 if you really like your beef cooked). Make sure you flip your meat at the halfway point.
- After broiling, take the flank steak out of the oven and let it rest for 5-10 minutes, depending on how hungry you are and how quickly you’ve prepped the veggies.
A few quick side suggestions:
- Steamed broccoli or cauliflower
- Sauteed snap peas or green beans
- Can of corn
- Side salad
- Leftover Applesauce
I made my flank steak the day after I made the long neck pumpkin soup. Since the soup was very thick I used it more as a puree and dipped each bite of steak into it. Flavor combo explosion!!